HELLO, I AM JOSH BALL

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Need for Water Checks and Filters

     Being one who likes to jump head first into a project, how could I treat my Sustainable Living Project any different!? While working on my Aquaponic System I quickly found out I need to add a filter and use a water test kit. I realized this of coarse when the water got really cloudy and my fish started looking stressed. I didn't help the situation by adding fish food to the tank to help  kick start the Nitrogen Cycle, which makes this whole process work. Here are the changes I made to balance my Aquaponic System, but first let me just say that although I need to make adjustments to  the system my vegetables are growing at an extrordinary rate!  An Aquaponic System is a great way to grow vegetables and fish at the same time!
   
     The first change I made was adding a filter to the system. In my Aquaponic System I am using a flood and drain method in two 3'x3'x 5" grow beds filled with expanded clay to grow my vegetables. This in itself acts as a biological filter, but that does not filter out all the smaller, fine particals that will flow back to the stock tank. This adds to the buildup of toxic chemicals, and will stress or kill your fish. I did not buy a filter from the store. I took a one galon water bottle and cut off the top. Then I filled the bottle with gravel on the bottom expanded clay in the middle, and peet moss on top. I took the drain tubes from the grow beds and positioned then so that the draining water flows through my filter. With holes in the bottom, I had a successfull filter, and it went right to work! After only a few hours the water visiblity increased greatly. By morning the water was clear.
  
      The second and equally important change I made was testing the chemical levels in my water. I went to our local fish store, Tats, and bought a test kit that tests for, pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. (Sound familiar...it should! three out of the four chemicals tested are parts of the Nitrogen Cycle!) I tested my water and found that the Ammonia level was at 4.0 ppm. Anything over 1.0 is bad for your fish, so 4.0 ppm is EXTREMELY bad for the fish! I immeadiately did a 50 percent water change and when I checked the Ammonia level in the morning it was just barely above 1.0 ppm. The water is now clear and the fish look very happy.

        Overall here is what you should take away from this posting:
  1. There should ALWAYS be a filter somewhere in your system.
  2. Get a water test kit and learn it, use it, make it your best friend. Also take diligent notes. When you ask for help, handing someone a detailed notebook on the chemical water levels in your Aquaponic System is a great start!
  3. The Nitrogen Cycle does not take much to get started! Do not underestimate the power of Mother Nature. You can create a large amount of ammonia with just a few feeder fish and some fish food! Large amounts of ammonia will kill your fish!
  4. Be proactive with your Aquaponic System. Take a few minuets each day to check and make sure your system is running optimally. Don't let what would be tiny adjustments turn into full blown problems that require immediate responses. 
       Remember using your Aquaponic System is supposed to be fun, as well as a fantastic way to grow your food! I am quickly moving from a hobby in Aquaponics to a full obsession. My entire life I have been working in fish tanks and ponds helping my Dad, creating different habitats for amphibious life, and marine life. Many times using the Nitrogen Cycle as our biological filter. I remember saying "Dad i don't want change out any more water!..." among many other complaints, but now I find myself recalling these memories in the pursuit of perfecting my Aquaponic System. I am greatful for my lessons, but believe me when I say there is always something new to learn! There are countless ways to create and use Aquaponic Systems, so go out and start your own!

2 comments:

  1. Hydroponics is a type of horticulture and a subset of hydroponics , which is a method of growing plants, usually crops, without soil, by using mineral nutrient solutions in an aqueous solvent.


    ReplyDelete